Diet which can be taken in a day:
Food Items - K. Cal - Qty Household Measures
Milk (without cream and sugar) 148 250 ml. 1 ¼ glass
Curd 50 100 gms. 3/4th cup
Bread (brown) 120 50 gms. 2 Slices
Wheat flour or Cooked Rice 400 125gms. # 5 Chapati /Dosa or 2 1/2 cups
Dal/Fish curry/Chicken (1 piece) and Egg (1 boiled) 180 50 gms. 1 cup
Vegetables (seasonal) 75 250 gms. 1/2 Cup cooked & 1 Cup uncooked
Vegetables (roots/tubers) 46 50 gms. 1/4 Cup
Fruits (seasonal) 60 100 gms. 1 Serving
Oil 135 15 ml. 3 Teaspoons
Nutrients - Measures
Energy 1214 K. Cal
Protein 46 gms.
Carbohydrate 192 gms.
Fats 27 gms.
Sodium 426 mg.
Potassium 1705 mg.
Foods to be preferably avoided
1. Fried Foods : Puri/ Samosa/ Paratha/ Pakoda/ Fried food etc.
2. Sweets : Jaggery/ Sugar/ Cake/ Chocolate/ Jam/ Honey/ Sweets etc.
3. Cold drinks : All Sweet drinks/ Sugarcane juice/ Alcohol/ Tinned juices, etc.
Foods to be taken in limited quantity
1. Dry Fruits : Groundnuts/ Almonds/Dates/Dry grapes/Cashewnuts.
2. Fruits : Grapes/Mango/Banana/Chikoo/Custard apple.
3. Vegetables : Potato/Tapioca/Sweet potatoes.
4. Milk cream/Ghee/ Egg yolk/Red meat/Ragi
Source: Compiled from nutrition value of Indian foods- National Institute of Nutrition, ICMR Hyderabad
Daily Meal Pattern People With Diabetes On Insulin:
Please refer above for food quantity. Suit to your lifestyle and insulin pattern.
Time between insulin and food:
Breakfast: Tea / Milk, Roti / Brown bread | Vegatables | Salad
Lunch: Salad | vegatables | rice / roti | Dal / fish curry | Curd | Fruits (1)
Dinner: Salad | vegatables | rice / roti | Dal / fish curry | Curd
Bed time: 1 glass milk or 1 fruit
Special instruction: Walk at least 30 - 40 minutes daily. Drink ar least 10-12 glasses of water daily.
Include: Raw vegetables (salads like onion, carrots, cucumber, tomato, cabbage, beetroot, capsicum etc.
Fruits allowed (any one): 1 sweet lime, 1 orange, 1 apple, 2-3 slices papaya, 2 slices pineapple, 2 slices watermelon, 1 guava, 1/2 pomegrenate, 1 pear / day
1. In the prescribed list of foods items, try to have most of whole cereals e.g. whole wheat and brown rice & whole pulses.
2. Have fruits with edible skin and seed
3. Add variety of vegetables in each of your main meal. Always include salad in your lunch and dinner
4. Avoid foods made in factory (Processed foods like biscuits)
5. Eat in a small plate. Avoid second serving
All foods to be taken in limited quantity.