1. Fish (salmon, halibut and tuna): Rich in vitamin B6, which the body uses to make melatonin, which is a hormone that induces sleep during darkness.
2. Jasmine Rice: Has a high GI (glycemic-index ) than regular rice, which helps in making us sleepy faster.
3. Tart Cherry Juice: Contains melatonin, and thus helpful in sleep.
4. Yogurt: Contain calcium which is helpful for falling asleep.
5. Whole Grains (Bulgur, barley, oat, brown rice): Contain magnesium, which helps you sleep.
6. Green leafy vegetables (Kale, collards): Rich in calcium, which helps you sleep.
Calcium is also found in dairy products but green vegetables are healthier. However, cheese helps make melatonin.
7. Bananas: Contain potassium, asd Vitamin B6, which is needed to make melatonin.
8. Chickpeas: Another good source of vitamin B6, which helps make melatonin.
9. Fortified cereals: Especially those rich in vitamin B6.
10. Tree nuts like walnuts and almonds: Contain tryptophan, an amino acid helpful in making serotonin (feeling good) and melatonin (body clock hormone).
11. Lettuce: Contains lactucarium, which has sedative properties, similar to opium.
12. Pretzels and corn chips: Their high glycemic index means after eating them, your blood sugar levels will rise quickly, and maybe you will be induced to sleep faster. Maybe.
13. Chamomile tea: Helps increase glycine, a chemical in our body that relaxes our nerves and muscles, acting like a mild sedative.
14. Passionfruit tea: Contain harman alkaloids, which make our nervous system feel we are tired.
15. Honey: Contains natural sugar, which raises insulin a little, allowing tryptophan to enter the brain more easily.
16. Crustacenas (Shrimp and lobster): Contain tryptophan.
17. Hummus (made from chickpeas): Another good source of tryptophan.
18. Any meat with good amounts of tryptophan: For example, elk meat or turkey.
19. Cherries: Rich in melatonin, which makes you sleepy.
Avoid these foods:
- Late night caffeine
- Spicy and acidic foods
- Alcohol: Initially it makes you drowsy but eventually breaks off your sleep.